Top 5 Reasons to Set Goals12.17.2008
Did you know that only 10% of people actually take the time to sit down and think about/plan their goals. And only 1 to 3% have clear, written goals? that number is astonishing considering how well goal planning works. Don’t be one of those people!
TOP 5 REASONS TO SET GOALS
1. Goals. give you a target to aim for. human beings have a built-in goal seeking “success mechanism” that is part of the subconscious mind. This success mechanism is constantly searching for ways to help us reach our targets and find answers to our problems. We work and feel better when our success mechanism is fully engaged going after clear targets.
2. Goals can help you concentrate your time and effort. One important reason goal setters achieve such outstanding results is that they have learned how to focus and concentrate their time, energy, and resources on a single objective; even if it is just for a few hours at a time.
3. Goals can provide motivation, persistence and desire. Most significant accomplishments are riddled with obstacles,struggles, and failures. It is estimated that Thomas Edison failed over one thousand times before he finally discovered a way to make the light bulb work. It is very rare for something important to be accomplished successfully on the very first try.
4. Goals can help you establish priorities. You will find many forks in the road between where you are now and where you want to be. Instead of just going with the flow and letting the “current” or other people’s interests determine where you end up, you have to consciously decide which way to go.
5. Goals can provide a roadmap to take you from where you are to where you want to be. A well crafted strategy with an accompanying set of intermediate goals provides a framework to reach far away targets. One of the best ways to deal with large or seemingly “impossible” tasks is to break them up into a series of intermediate achievable steps and get to work on each piece
Do you have your own goals? If not, then you need to make some clear and achievable goals today.
(and set some goals for yourself)